ISIS Suicide Bombers strike Istanbul Airport

0
385
ISIS Suicide Bombers strike Istanbul Airport

According to the latest report from Reuters News Agency, three suspected ISIS suicide bombers blew themselves up in Istanbul’s main international airport on Tuesday, killing 36 people and wounding close to 150. According to Turkey’s Prime Minister Binali Yildirim, it appears the attack was carried out by Islamic State/ ISIS militants. It is clear the attackers were trying to target international travelers because Istanbul Atatürk Airport is one of the biggest and the third busiest airports in Europe and attacking this airport will lead to causality at an international level.

Speaking to reporters the Turkish Prime Minster Binali Yildirim said “It became clear with this incident again that terrorism is a global threat. This attack, targeting innocent people is a vile, planned terrorist act.” He further added by saying “There is initial evidence that each of the three suicide bombers blew themselves up after opening fire.” This is a common tactic used by suicide bombers because if one of them starts shooting the crowd will run towards the exits in great numbers making it possible to inflict mass causality.

The majority of killed and wounded so far have been Turkish nationals but there is a strong possibility that the dead and wounded could include foreign nationals. Again the attack was executed in the same manner as Brussels Airport terror strike which was again carried out by Islamic State suicide bombers back in April this year. Turkey’s Islamist President Tayyip Erdogan said in a statement “The attack, which took place during the holy month of Ramadan, shows that terrorism strikes with no regard for faith and values,” and “The bombs that exploded in Istanbul today could have gone off at any airport in any city around the world.”

So far no one has claimed responsibility for this latest attack but it has all the hallmarks of ISIS who are known for their brutal tactics. World leaders including Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi strongly condemned this attack. The PM posted the following on his official twitter handle “Attack in Istanbul is inhuman & horrific. I condemn it strongly. My thoughts are with bereaved families. May the injured recover quickly.”

Comments

comments

Powered by Facebook Comments

LEAVE A REPLY