Recent reports came up with the shocking news of Qatar being severed off by a Saudi-led coalition of Arab nations as they declared that Qatar has been supporting terrorism.
The Arab world’s most powerful states namely Bahrain being the first one to snap the ties followed by Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Libya and the Maldives.
STEPS TAKEN BY THE SEVEN COUNTRIES AGAINST QATAR
- Soon after announcing the unfortunate news, the three Gulf states blocked and closed off air, sea and land transport links and routes to the State of Qatar and gave the Qatari tourists and residents to leave their country immediately and move back to Qatar within two weeks.
- Qatar has also been suspended from a Saudi-led military coalition currently fighting in Yemen.
REASONS GIVEN BY THE GULF COUNTRIES FOR TAKING SUCH A SHOCKING DECISION
- The much-debated issue that Qatar supports the world’s oldest Islamist movement or the ‘Muslim Brotherhood’ has been formed the basis of the debate that the state supports terrorism
- Saudi has accused Qatar of backing and broadcasting the ideologies of militant groups including ISIS, the Muslim Brotherhood and Al-Qaeda on the most influential state-owned media channel Al Jazeera.
- It has also been claimed that Qatar has voluntarily supported many activities of the Iranian-backed terrorist groups in Saudi Arabia and Bahrain.
- Qatar has also financed, and adopted extremists who destabilize unity not only at home but abroad as well.
CONSEQUENCES OF SEVERING TIES AND CUTTING OFF LINKS WITH THE STATE OF QATAR
- There was a havoc amongst the residents of the country. The Qatar tourists and residents in those seven countries were warned to leave for Qatar as early as possible, within two weeks.
- The Gulf countries have started experiencing an economic crisis that has loomed as the four Gulf countries jeopardized a total land and sea blockade of Qatar.
- As soon as the announcement was made, the three major airlines – Etihad, Emirates, and FlyDubai – declared their flights being canceled and suspended.
- One of the major consequences of such a step was that Qatar’s stock market index dropped 7.5%.
- Oil prices skyrocketed since it is the largest exporter and supplier of LNG (Liquified Natural Gas) and other refining products derived from the natural gas.
RESPONSE OF THE STATE OF QATAR IN THIS CONCERN
Denying the accusations, Qatar says that it came as an ’utter surprise’ and that Qatar has been indulged into a ‘smear campaign of lies and fabrications’ adding that it was solely committed to its charter and had always respected their sovereignty without interfering in their matters.
Another bunch of reports by Qatar’s official news agency recently said the Emir, Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani had criticized the United States and had offered backing for Iran which reaffirmed their support for Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood. Qatar denied such reports and even defended itself when asked about the tweets claiming their withdrawal of ambassadors from the countries like Egypt, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates by saying that their official Twitter account had been hacked.
Powered by Facebook Comments